Benefits of Sound Healing
The Sound Healing Experience
Sound healing therapy uses aspects of music to improve your physical and emotional health and well-being. Sound healing uses vibrations, which can be vocal or instrumental using instruments such as Gongs, Crystal Bowls, Tibetan Singing Bowls, Tuning Forks, Chimes and Drums, in order to relax your mind and body.
The experience can be enjoyed as part of a group or in a private session with a trained sound healing practitioner, and may involve:
- Listening to music
- Singing along to music
- Moving to the beat of the music
- Playing an instrument
Positive Effects of Sound Healing
Sound healing has been shown to relieve certain ailments including anxiety and insomnia, and practitioners say that it can have many other positive effects on the body. These include:
- Changing brain wave states to improve focus
- Affecting and lowering stress levels
- Boosting the immune system
- Lowering blood pressure
- Improving circulation
- Reducing respiratory rates
- Heightening Clarity
- Unlocking blocked emotions
- Relieving physical pain
- Decreasing Depression
- Releasing emotional trauma
Some of the different types of sound healing therapy include:
- Bowl Therapy: The use of Tibetan or Crystal Bowls on or near the body.
- Gong Therapy: The use of a Gong to induce deep relaxation (often used in Kundalini Yoga).
- Tuning Fork Therapy: The use of tuning forks either weighted or unweighted and either on or off the body.
- Guided Meditation: Using mantra singing or other tools to take a participant on an inner meditation journey.
- Brainwave Entrainment: The use of Binaural Beats that can be created with singing bowls, or other types of equipment to stimulate the brain waves to align with to the frequency of the beat or interval between two different frequencies. This method is said to enhance focus, create an entranced state, and help with relaxation or sleep.
- Vibroacoustic Therapy: Uses audible sound vibrations to improve health and reduce stress using speakers imbedded in recliners, mattresses, and special mats to transmit sounds and frequencies directly to the body.
Starting Your Sound Healing Journey
There are plenty of studies on the benefits of music and meditation related to well-being, but at this time, there are still few large-scale clinical studies looking at sound healing in particular. The research in this area is growing, and the use of sound to treat illness is expanding rapidly. There is promising data on the use of sound to destroy cancer cells, viruses, and other pathogens and more and more western-trained doctors are promoting the use of sound for healing.
So, should you try it?
Today’s world is full of stressors, both external and internal. Sound healing can be a wonderful way to help with stress management, and that alone can be an infinitely valuable benefit. Whether sound healing has been proven scientifically to heal anything specific or not, it can be a profound experience and a wonderful way to relax the mind and body.
Click the button below to register for your next sound healing event: